Saturday, February 21, 2009

I'm in Charlottesville

Charlottesville is beautiful....at least what I've seen so far. I got here yesterday afternoon. The accommodations are great. I am staying at the Residence Inn, just a couple hundred yards from the law school. It looks like there are a lot of shops/stores right across the street, so we should be able to get everything/anything we need without difficulty. It should be easy for Karina and the girls to navigate the area.

Since my last update...I survived the gas chamber! The Cadre took it easy on us though. Basically, we donned gas masks and then marched into a little room, ran around in circles and then (in order to leave the room) took our masks off, recited our name, social security number and place of birth...the Chief let me go out as I was halfway through my social...he could have held me the entire time. It mostly just burned around my eyes. I coughed a little bit for a few minutes outside, but otherwise didn't have any other issues (ie. no snot running down my face!). The rest of the week was mostly paperwork processing.

School starts Monday. 0500 PT (5am physical training) and then class at 0800. Got my first set of books yesterday. The law school is beautiful, too. I woke up early this morning (6am) so I decided to get a little running in since we are running 3.5 miles on Monday. After the run, had some coffee and orange juice in the dining area of the Residence....they have a full complimentary breakfast every day so that should be great for the girls.

I'm really enjoying this. Still an alien world for me, but I'm getting used to it. The saluting thing is still going to take some time to get used to. Karina and the girls arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to see them...seems like I've been away for a month.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom, I'm so proud of you going through all that in your usual "I can do it!" style. The gas stuff sounds like a day at IIB. I'm sure it was difficult missing Karina and the girls. By now you must be so happy that they are with you. It sounds beautiful there. They miss you at clinic. I spoke to Kristina on Friday. Put up another picture! What a great experience. Hope the girls are all well now. Miss you here in Boston. Keep up the great work! Marlane

    ReplyDelete